I’ve written about computers and technology since the mid-80s. Thirty years later, I’ve written more than 50 books, and “Windows For Dummies” has become the best-selling computer book series of all time. With more than 15 million books in print, I’ve earned spots on bestseller lists from the New York Times, USA Today, Publisher’s Weekly, and Amazon.
My latest book, Windows 10 For Dummies, Second Edition, is available now from Amazon, local bookstores, and libraries near you.
For computer- or book-related questions, visit my Mail page. I answer a reader’s question each week on my website.
Follow me on Twitter here!
I’m represented by Matt Wagner at Fresh Books Literary Agency.
I occasionally write articles for websites, magazines and newspapers. For more information or rates, contact me directly.
Here’s a sampling of my most recent work. For details about my most recent books, visit my Books page.
- Windows 10 For Dummies, Second Edition. Wiley Publishing, August 15, 2016.
- Windows 10 For Dummies Book and Online Video Bundle. Wiley Publishing. October 5, 2015.
- Windows 10 For Dummies. Wiley Publishing. August 10, 2015.
- Microsoft Surface For Dummies, 2nd Edition. Wiley Publishing, Inc., April 28, 2014.
- Windows 8.1 For Dummies Book + DVD bundle. Wiley Publishing. October 28, 2013.
- Windows 8.1 For Dummies. Wiley Publishing, Inc. October 7, 2013.
- Windows 8 for Tablets For Dummies. Wiley Publishing, Inc., April 1, 2013.
- Microsoft Surface For Dummies. Wiley Publishing, Inc., January 1, 2013.
- Windows 8 For Dummies Book + DVD Bundle. Wiley Publishing, Inc., October 30, 2012.
- Windows 8 For Dummies. Wiley Publishing, Inc. , September 26, 2012.
I began fiddling around with computers in the early 1980s as a Comparative Literature major at San Diego State University. Because of all the writing involved, I bought a 26-pound Kaypro 2X CP/M computer and a WordStar word processing program. When the professor asked for an eight-page term paper and I could only muster up six, I’d subtly adjust the margins of my word processor, squeezing the words into eight pages.
Intrigued with the possibilities of PCs, I began freelancing in 1987 for my first computer magazine, a local biweekly called ComputorEdge. I soon began freelancing for CompuServe, PC World, and Shareware magazines, and ghostwriting for other computer book authors.
In 1992, I wrote the first edition of “Windows For Dummies.” As Windows grew more popular, more beginners began finding my books helpful. My books aren’t written for dummies, they’re written for people who feel like dummies when their computer or gadget doesn’t behave the way it should.
Today, I’ve written more than 50 books, and “Windows For Dummies” is the best-selling computer book series of all time. When not writing books, I enjoy cooking, bird watching with my wife, and playing ukulele.